WHITNALL YOUTH BASEBALL AND SOFTBALL
LEAGUE RULES (2012)
Whitnall Youth Baseball (WYB) is an independent, recreational league committed to providing kids of all skill levels a fun, safe and instructional baseball experience. We strongly promote teamwork, respect, sportsmanship, honesty, leadership, discipline and competition. Winning is a bonus.
The following rules apply to all divisions, both softball and baseball, unless otherwise stated in division rules:
Equipment and Uniforms
- Uniforms, equipment and the park in general, are to be treated with respect. The fees of all participants pay for these.
- Proper uniforms are required during games. Uniform shirts must be tucked in. Team hats must be worn except when batting.
- For their safety, all male catchers must wear a cup or they will not be allowed to play that position.
- Batting order will consist of all players in attendance for that game. In this league, a continuous batting order for all teams is required. For example, if twelve players are present for a game, the batting order will includes all twelve players. If a player has to be removed from the batting order due to injury or family reason, his spot in the order will be skipped, and it will not count as an out. Managers having players leave a game in progress must notify the opposing manager of the change in batting order. Failure to do so will result in the next batter being called out.
- Batting order and field positions are to be posted in the dugouts for players to see prior to the start of the game.
- If a player arrives after a game has started, that player shall be placed at the bottom of the batting order, and the manager must notify the opposing manager of the change in batting order. Failure to do so will result in the next batter being called out. The player may be inserted into any position on the field.
- If no umpire is provided, the home team will be responsible for the plate umpire, and the visiting team will be responsible for the base umpire.
- For their safety, all plate umpires must wear a full set of protective gear.
- Sliding is required at home plate when a play is taking place there. If the runner does not slide, he/she will be called out.
- Sliding on the bases is not required but should be encouraged when the play is close.
- Head first sliding into any base is not permitted. Players doing so will be called out.
- Pitchers hitting two batters must be removed from that position. Once replaced, he/she may not retake the mound in that game.
- Pitchers must pitch in consecutive innings.
- In the spirit of good sportsmanship, there will be no intentional walks.
- Playing time shall be dependent upon the number of players in attendance for a game.
- Players that are sitting out are to be rotated into the game in an equitable fashion.
Code of Conduct
- It is the expectation of WYB that all managers, coaches, players, family members and visitors to the park will act in an appropriate manner. Conduct or behavior that does not reflect good sportsmanship or is offensive in nature will not be tolerated.
- Any manager, coach, player or spectator using foul language or verbal abuse will be warned by the umpire. The second incident will result in that person being asked to leave the park. In the case of physical abuse, the umpire can ask that person to leave the park without giving a warning first. If he/she refuses to leave the park, the game will be called and the team with the offending party will be assessed a loss for that game.
- The harassment, belittling or excessive arguing with any manager, coach or umpire is inappropriate.
- Any player throwing equipment in anger will be given a verbal warning on the first occurrence. A second occurrence will result in the player being removed from the game. Further violations will be discussed by the board of directors for further action, including discipline.
- No inning may be started after 8:00 p.m.
- No game protests will be allowed.
- A game halted by rain shall be ruled complete if at least four full innings have been played (or three and a half full innings, if the home team is ahead). Any games not completing the required amount of innings will be replayed. Innings completed by pitchers during rainouts will be counted in their weekly total.
- Games will be halted in the event of lightning.
- Any hit or thrown ball coming in contact with the safety net will be considered a dead ball.
- Players are not allowed to wear jewelry during a game except for medical alert bracelets.
- Players are not allowed to play in a cast.
The board of directors of WYB has the sole discretion to determine its rules and procedures with respect to players, manager/coaches and spectators.